National Aviation History Month is also a time to envision the future of aviation and space exploration.
2. Build Squeeze Bottle Rockets with Mister C – Full STEAM Ahead
3. Make a Paper Mars Helicopter
4. Design and Build a Crew Module (instructional video linked here)
5. Build a Glider
6. Dream Big (Ask your children to imagine the future. What they would create to take us to new heights in aviation?)
7. Plan a Museum Visit (National Museum of the United States Air Force, Carillion History Park, WACO Air Museum)
More Activities & Educational Resources:
Dayton Fun Facts:
- Congress officially declared Ohio as the “birthplace of aviation.” Dayton was the home of Wilbur and Orville Wright, who invented and flew the first aircraft.
- Dayton natives invented the parachute. Floyd Smith and Guy Ball, civilian employees at McCook field, designed the parachute.
- Dayton is home to the country’s first airplane factory. The Wright Company factory, founded in 1909, was the first factory established for the purpose of building airplanes.
- According to NASA, 25 astronauts are Ohio natives, having made nearly 80 space flights, with three of those flights being trips to the Moon.
- Ohio astronauts have logged more than 22,000 hours in space.